The Word On The Street Inspires Young Readers with TD KidStreet
The Word On The Street Toronto, Canada’s largest free outdoor book and magazine festival, continues to encourage literacy and a love of reading from a young age with the TD KidStreet sponsored by TD Bank Group. Some of the country’s bestselling children’s authors and illustrators will present their latest books at the TD Children’s Literature Tent where there will be free fun activities for families. The 28th edition of The Word On The Street takes place on Sunday, September 24, 2017 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Harbourfront Centre. Visit the festival’s website for more information.
“We’re excited to share the joy of reading with people of all ages,” said Valerie Picher, Associate Vice President, Community Relations, TD Bank Group. “TD is committed to promoting children’s literacy, and this festival works to inspire children and families to get excited and discover the fun in reading.”
Writer and illustrator, Patricia Storms (Never Let You Go, The Pirate and the Penguin) and performer, poet, scholar and author Kari-Lynn Winters (Good Pirate and Bad Pirate) will host the TD Children’s Literature Tent. Additional attendees will include:
• Jennifer Mook-Sang, Captain Monty Takes the Plunge
• Eric Fan and Terry Fan, The Night Gardener
• Heather Hartt-Sussman and Milan Pavlović, Seamus's Short Story
• Kyo Maclear, Yak and Dove
• Nicola Winstanley, A Bedtime Yarn
• Chrissy Bozik and Patricia Storms, If You're Thankful and You Know It
• Kai Cheng Thom, From the Stars in the Sky to the Fish in the Sea
• Jean E. Pendziwol, Me and You and the Red Canoe
• Alex A., Jon le Bon Book 7
• Adrienne Kress, The Explorers: The Door in the Alley
• Vikki VanSickle, The Winnowing
• Geraldo Valério, Jump, Leap, Count Sheep
• Qin Leng, Shelter
TD KidStreet activities to include:
• TD Interactive Storybook: Share Your Story is an opportunity for attendees to have their picture taken for free inside a giant, 12-foot storybook. Through a digital app, attendees can write down their own story, along with a personalized storybook photograph, and share it over email, Facebook, Twitter, or Weibo.
• The TD Grade One Book Giveaway: each year, the Canadian Children’s Book Centre gives one book to every grade one student in Canada made possible through the generous sponsorship from TD. In celebration of Canada 150, Andrea Lynn Beck will read her book Good Morning, Canada and any attending grade one student can take home a free copy.
• 2017 TD Canadian Children’s Literature Award will be presented by CBC.
• Live shows at the TVOKids Stage featuring Odd Squad, beloved Polkaroo, and scientist extraordinaire David Suzuki.
• CBC Kids Activity Tent where families can enjoy fun games and meet special guest Bookaboo.
• TD KidStreet Marketplace where visitors can find new reads for the school year.
• The new Francophone Avenue, which includes French literature as well as the brand new TFO Minivers.
Select programming segments will include ASL interpretation. For more details about TD KidStreet programming, families can pick up a TD KidStreet Festival Guide in Toronto bookstores and select downtown Starbucks locations, and at any of The Word On The Street’s Information Booths on festival day, Sunday, September 24. The guide is designed and produced by Owlkids, publisher of Chirp, ChickaDEE, and OWL Magazine. The WEBview, digital edition of the guide will be available on The Word On The Street’s website in September.
View the full festival line-up on The Word On The Street’s website.
About The Word On The Street
Each September, in the cities of Toronto, Halifax, Lethbridge and Saskatoon, The Word On The Street unites the country in a national celebration of literacy and the written word. Annually attracting more than 200,000 visitors, The Word On The Street Toronto is the largest book and magazine festival in Canada. This year’s event takes place on Sunday, September 24, at Harbourfront Centre (235 Queens Quay West). Admission is free.