Now You're Cooking!
Involve your entire family in cooking! Even the teeniest member can shred romaine lettuce or mix the contents of a bowl. Working as a team will teach your kids to listen and follow instructions. Cooking with kids also presents great opportunities to hone in on those math skills (measuring and fractions). A timer will help with seconds, minutes, and hours.
Here are some tips for cooking with kids:
· Find a kid-friendly recipe (see resources below) and read the entire recipe all the way through to make sure they understand.
· Have your child help you prepare all equipment and tools required.
· Have your child measure out all the ingredients.
· Have a pair of hot mitts for everyone.
· Wear short sleeves (or roll them up) as loose clothing can be a fire hazard.
· Tie long hair back.
· Wear proper shoes to protect little toes from spills.
· Always turn pot handles towards the inside to prevent accidents.
· Always supervise kids in the kitchen.
Here are some great kid-friendly recipe websites:
www.robinhood.ca (Click on Baking Hour)