Help your Child Achieve in School
Follow these tips and before you know it, you’ll kids will be saying 'I love school!' Here’s what you need to know to help your kids make the grade this upcoming school year…
1. Be your child’s student. Have your child explain a lesson or math problem to you, or have them summarize a book. This will boost your child’s self-esteem and you’ll find out what their level of understanding is.
2. Practice test-writing strategies. Help your child develop good test-writing by practicing on their homework. Teach your child how to read and highlight instructions, how to eliminate incorrect choices and how to do a rough essay outline on scrap paper before doing their final writing.
3. Use Math in everyday life. Giving hands-on examples is perfect for teaching math. Have your kids add up your coupons at the grocery store to see how much money you’ll save. Let kids help in the kitchen and have them measure all the ingredients. When there’s a sale, have the kids figure out what the price will be at 20% off.
4. Don’t make homework a chore. Set up a quiet, non-distracting area for homework. Have your child complete their most difficult tasks first to get them out of the way, and finish with the easier work. Take fun breaks in between.
5. Celebrate your child’s non-academic achievements. Embrace your child’s accomplishments in extra-curricular activities whether it is in art, music, dance, sports, or drama. That way, you’ll encourage your child to do well both in school and out.