It’s spring! Children are natural gardeners. They are curious, like to learn by doing, and love to play in the dirt. The entire family can share the joy of gardening so entertain your kids with this educational activity. Gardens are magical, fun, and always full of surprises.
Make yours a special one by choosing some exciting themes. Discuss them with your children and see what type of garden they would like to grow!
Here are some great ideas to create a theme garden with a selection of fruits, vegetables, herbs, and flowers:
1. Pizza Garden - Plant all the ingredients need to make pizza: tomatoes, onions, peppers, garlic, oregano, and basil.
2. Spaghetti Garden - Use tomatoes, onions, peppers, garlic, oregano, basil, and spaghetti squash.
3. Zoo Garden – Plant flowers with animal names: tiger lilies (Lilium lancifolium), elephant ear (Alocasia), lamb’s ear (Stachys), leopard’s bane (Doronicum), or monkey flower (Mimulus).
4. Halloween Garden - It’s everything you’ll need for the Fall: pumpkins, gourds, Indian corn, popcorn, and sunflowers.
5. Rainbow Garden - Plant rows in each color to form a rainbow with flowers or veggies in red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet.
6. Butterfly Garden - These flowers will attract gorgeous butterflies to your garden: marigold, nasturtium, zinnia, salvia, buddleia, butterfly weed, yarrow, coreopsis, purple coneflower, cosmos, chives, and lantana.
7. Tea Party Garden – Plant all the herbs you need to make tea: mints, lemon balm, chamomile, cinnamon, basil, and anise hyssop.
8. Chinese Food Garden – Everyone’s favourites ingredients including snow peas, radishes, cucumbers, Chinese cabbage, bok choy, or cilantro.
Don’t forget to teach your kids about watering and weeding, but make sure gardening is a fun activity not a chore!